You agree with me that most of us just wish we were more confident in various circumstances.
But why is it so hard?
Your friend may say for instance, ‘’Hey, be confident, pal!’’. Nonetheless, this statement may not be helpful to someone with low-self esteem. In this post, you will learn invaluable tips on how to become more confident and assertive in life.
1. Action vs. thinking too much
A simple way to build self-esteem is to act rather than spending too much time thinking. Work on a project to its completion. Lazing on the couch and thinking instead of acting is likely to demoralize you and make you feel worse. Here are simple ways to help you take action more often.
- Live in the present. Just appreciate the joy of living in the moment and do what is required of you instead of wasting your valuable time over thinking. This tip is effective because it creates a state whereby you feel less emotional resistance as you work. Additionally, if offers a focused and relaxed atmosphere to complete your tasks. A simple way to ensure you live in the present for improved focus in your tasks is by breathing in and out regularly.
- Take it easy. Nobody gets out alive my friend. A common thing that instils in you the fear to act is that you always have to do something with seriousness. This can make a project appear too scary or difficult. You need to relax and acknowledge that problems are just real in your mind. With a relaxed mind, your endeavours will become easier and lighter.
2. Identify your fear and face it head on
- Find more experiences. Seek out more experiences that offer an opportunity to face your fear. A simple way to achieve this is by being curious. In essence, fear encloses your boundaries in life and acts as a barrier. It is therefore important to break these barriers more often.
- Acknowledge that fear stems from wrongful interpretation. By misjudging circumstances or silly miscommunication, our subconscious automatically interprets these negative messages. As we all know, our subconscious memory affects our behaviour. As mentioned earlier on, you should not take things too seriously since thoughts are ever changing.
Researching or educating yourself is important. For instance, you can rehearse your speech before an event. With effective research and breathing skills, you will become more present and calm. So prior preparation in anything you do will improve your confidence. However, you should not get stuck in this phase as it may hamper your ability to take action.
4. We all fail, move on!
Failure is part of life. The world will not end because you failed. Failure is something useful for personal development and improved self confidence. Here are reasons why failure is an important phase in life:
- Makes you stronger. Failure builds character and you learn that it is part of life. In a way, you become desensitized to it. You are now able to handle circumstances with confidence because even if you failed, at least you were brave enough to take a chance.
- Succeeding becomes easier. Each failure increases your chance to succeed because you learn from mistakes each time.